Hula Ink Publishing
Why I started Hula Ink
and what I hope to do with it
Every writer has one or two projects they feel they need to write, even though they know no one will pay for them.
We – a handful of writers and artists – founded our small publishing company Hula Ink to publish books and videos that are too small, quirky or off-market for traditional publishers – in other words, for projects that will probably not make any money.
We’re starting out with Eric’s books – he’s testing the waters, and he as the most projects he wants to publish independently.
We have several additional self-help books similar to “The George Washington Rulebook of Achievement” and “Gracian’s The Art of Worldly Wisdom,” as well as more illustrated poetry by Cornelius Cornelius.
This summer, our first German popular non-fiction book will appear in partnership with a traditional publisher, which will publish the print edition, while e-book will appear under the Hula Ink logo.
The next step is to publish books featuring the writing and illustrations of other partners.
If all goes well, these will include children’s books and crime fiction, in both German and English.
Our first three books
The Handbook for Success
I wrote this book because I needed it:
A handbook of life, a simple list of rules and principles you need when you’re trying to change yourself into the man or woman you want to be –
one I could keep in my back pocket and page through it every once in while, when I lose sight of my goals and need to remember what I’m supposed to be doing here in this world.
Loving and Losing God
I was a believer – so much so that I went on a mission (to Germany) for the Mormon church. Then came the doubts, and I had to leave.
But just because you no longer believe in God doesn’t mean you don’t miss him.
A book about what really happens in the Mormon church, and a memoir about faith, doubt, and the hole that God leaves behind
For those who need love
My first book in German was a travelogue of a year-long trip through Germany in search of the Middle Ages (and yes, I found it).
There followed half a dozen non-fiction books, often about German culture through the eyes of an outsider, and then came the novels, most notably a trilogy of thrillers about a profiler in Berlin.
What you will find at Substack and Patreon
You will find our Substack newsletter valuable if you are:
– searching for purpose and meaning, or want to become a person capable of achieving something in life; or
– if you write or want to enhance your creativity and understanding of life through writing.
In our free section,
you will find the lessons and insights I have learned in my life and am still learning today:
– from 60 years of life as an outsider in two cultures and on two continents – as a haole in Hawaii and an Ami in Germany;
– from my quest to find purpose, meaning as spirituality, and the truth about the confused world we live in;
– from my fight with depression and life with ADHD;
– from my study of the great books and poetry of the great thinkers in history.
Our exclusive section
is for writers and those learning to write – in it, you will find:
– practical lessons on the craft of storytelling;
– tips on how to enhance your creativity and find meaning and purpose in life through writing;
– my experiences in the world of professional writing, but also as one who explores life through writing.
This exclusive content, "Writing is a Sacred Act," is available to both my Substack subscribers and my supporters on Patreon.
If you are someone who consciously thinks about their lives and the world they live in;
if you are driven by a desire to create or achieve;
if you write or are learning to write,
you will love this newsletter.